St. Louis football stadium suspended due to damage to city project

Street. Louis – The new football stadium in St. Louis is now suspended due to damage to a 22,500-seat off-field city project. Sunday’s game was moved to St. Louis SC City2 (City2) to Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE).

FOX 2 repeatedly asked several city officials what kind of work was going on at Centene and what was wrong.

A city spokesperson said the following Monday:

“The stadium and City Council Public Service have been in constant contact since the issue was identified (last) Thursday.”

A week after the damage occurred, the spokesperson responded to our request for more information with the following statement:

“We don’t have anything new to add from what we presented earlier this week.”

According to a St. Louis football club spokesperson, the accident occurred at the City Street Management Project on 22nd Street.

There are several holes in the new sidewalk with exposed pipes between Olive Street and Market Street, along with the new stadium. A St. Louis City spokesperson said Monday that work is underway to assess the damage.

It turned out that the damage caused a partial loss of energy in the stadium, which could not have been fixed in time for what was supposed to be the first game there, on Sunday.

“…we have confirmed that we will not be able to return full power to the stadium on Sunday,” said Joe Abernathy, vice president of stadium operations. “We are currently working with our partners building and operating the stadium to assess the scale of the problem and to better understand the schedule…”

Team boss and CEO, Caroline Kendall, said she is sad that there will be no match on the scene.

“We are very sad that we were not able to show the new stadium,” Kendall said. “We know our fans, players and staff will be disappointed not to have this preview event…”

Mitch Morris said of the St. Louligans football fan group.

Morris said the group has big plans for Sunday. They were on their way to host a pre-game street party held by Schlafly, with a section of 21st Street closed and unofficially renamed, “St. Lawlegan Street.”

He said he understood the construction accidents and delays but not the lack of information from the City of St. Louis.

“(We had) probably 1,000 to 2,000 people who would be ‘us’ in the fan section (at Sunday’s game),” Morris said. “There are a lot of people who have been disappointed… to have this big and wonderful stadium, and I mean, it is a fantastic stadium. We have been to a lot of different football stadiums in the United States and this is really a gem.”

The City of St. Louis did not respond to FOX 2 public records requests under the Missouri Sunshine Act on Thursday for the 22nd Street Project.